Also known as elliptical machines, cross trainers are the all-rounder of cardiovascular fitness equipment. Less harsh on the knee and hip joints, but increased intense focus on the thighs, glutes and abdominals, the cross trainer is a great machine to incorporate into your workout regime as it works out your upper body as well as you lower body.
Whereas treadmills control the speed at which you run, you have complete control over your cross trainer, making it easy to structure your workout efficiently. Here are a couple of suggested workouts for you try on your elliptical cross trainer.
Basic Cross Trainer Workout: 40 minutes
This is a standard training routine for anyone who is new to the elliptical or new to working out in general. It’s easy to adapt to your current ability and is an excellent aerobic workout.
- Always make sure you’ve thoroughly stretched your calf muscles, hamstrings, glutes, shoulders and back, and neck before using a cross trainer.
- Begin with a 5 minute warm up on level 2-4, keeping a steady pace.
- Increase the level to between 5-7 for the main body of your regime, and keep a steady to fast pace for 30 minutes.
- Decrease your level back down to 2 or 3 and allow your body to cool down for a final 5 minutes. This stage is crucial to prevent muscles from ceasing.
Interval Cross Trainer Workout: 40 minutes
As discussed in a previous post, interval training is the best way to rapidly increase fitness, maintain a high metabolism long after working out and develop lean and toned muscle. Interval training isn’t restricted to jogging or treadmills and can be applied to most pieces of cardiovascular exercise equipment – particularly a cross trainer because or it’s easy-to-use interface and smooth handling.
- As before, begin with a 5 minute warm up on level 2-4 and keep a steady pace.
- Increase level to 8-10 and push yourself as hard as you can for 60 seconds before recovering for 30 seconds at level 3. Repeat this until you have covered 30 minutes if you can.
- Cool down for 5 minutes at level 2 or 3.
As with all workouts, these can be adapted by increasing the duration, adjusting the levels and upping your own intensity. As always, make sure you finish any workout with the appropriate stretches.
Visit us on our website to check out our range of elliptical trainers. The Keiser Strider M5 is an ideal elliptical for your home or office as it's lightweight and compact size means it won't take up too much room and can easily be manoeuvred Feel free to leave your comments and feedback below, on Facebook or Twitter and share your progress pictures with us by following us on Pinterest.